Wednesday, March 23, 2011

being good


Interesting.. having completed my 32-point parallel park job on I street (lightly tapping the pick up in front of me to squeeze into the space), I got out and thanked the Lord that no one was around to witness the event. As I stuck my hands into my pockets and bowed my hooded head against the wind, an older lady from behind me caught up with my pace to say she wanted to remind me to pay for parking, but then remembered that it's actually free after 6pm. So nice!

This is how the rest of brief meeting went down.

"Thanks for being so considerate! Have a good night!!"

"You too, dear. Be good. Don't be a bad girl. Remember your mom. Remember your mom!!"

"I will, thanks..."

My first thought.. where does she think I'm going?? I won't tell you ^_< Second thought, I called my mom this morning after a mild freak out moment while at work. Bah.

And finally, I thought.. this lady probably has in her mind that when your mom is on your conscience, then the possibility of committing any matters of mischief are out of question. Could be true.. maybe. But I was thinking, if not for God, what gives anyone any reason to be good?

Our current culture has adapted a morality by majority belief, which doesn't really answer the question since we as humans, are inherently flawed (or just sinful) and therefore cannot form the distinction between right and wrong on our own. Again, depends on what side of the boat you're on..

Surely you have heard of him and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. You were taught, with regard to your former life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by your deceitful desires, to be new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.  Ephesians 4

Thank you ssg :)

No comments:

Post a Comment